21.2.08

Stan Harmon “One Technique Too Many - Your Mind on Glass”


Glass addiction is a demanding mistress. There is always one more technique to master, one more tool required, one more idea to try, then another, and another…. until one day it happens, your brain explodes from too much glass!

I keep thinking it could happen any day so I thought a self-portrait might be timely. I live on a beautiful coastal river, so I included it in the background, as I’m usually close by.

A lot of techniques were applied to this con-fused piece of glass. Some of the face was enamel air-brushed and hand painted/sticklited, some powder sifting, frit throwing, etc. Enamel decals saved the day for the lettering and smaller graphics and base layer of the face. I fired late one night and “hurriedly” applied “screen printing” twice in the explosion and had to “sandblast” one of them off the next day, thus requiring an additional unplanned firing. Also used a dremel and diamond bit on one or two places touching up detail between firings. Of course PhotoShop 7 played a large role in the creation of the portrait. I was forced to finally sit down and take the time to learn more about it. I had been holding off learning the advanced stuff due to the decision to switch to Mac, which also kept me from updating to CS3 until the PC switch. Waste brain cells relearning new keyboard commands, not. I also didn’t want to waste my time learning stuff that hopefully will become obsolete in the newer PhotoShop version. Rumors are still indicating the emanate release of MacBook Pro hopefully next month! Or the next….

I'm not used to working directly on a white glass canvas as most of my experience is on clear. Once again I outsmarted myself by placing a 3mm clear irrid , 14in. x 20in. layer of BE on the bottom for shelf release benefits. Then a 3mm layer of BE white for volume control and my canvas. With each firing the detail and work seemed to sink into the white, slowly disappearing before my eyes. I had planned more detail but decided to cut my losses. I think if I had placed the clear on top I could have added more firings and detail without have the white swallowing whatever was on top. Note to self……take more classes!

9 comments:

Cynthia Morgan said...

This looks like I frequently feel in the studio, left wondering how the heck I'm going to cram all the stuff in my brain into a little piece of glass...I see you've got a couple on here I haven't tried yet...oh no!

Anonymous said...

I recognize the dude riding the flying fish. Great piece Stan...........DBurt

Deb Lewis said...

Stan, your piece represents the glass artist in all of us. Too many processes, too many colors-I want to try them all!

Anonymous said...

Feel the same, too many things to try, too little time! Great piece!

Anonymous said...

Your face says it all even without the funky frazzled cranium.

Stan Harmon said...

Ain't it so!

DB, Thankfully, the dude was on his flying fish during the un-timely explosion.I'm sure he's in a better place now. Upon closer examination I'm finding none of the early 70's (fond memories)being directly lost as a result of the blast. We won't discuss the resulting Flashbacks.....

Anonymous said...

A statement on mastering technique... Very well executed.

When will the movie premier?

Anonymous said...

Stan, not only is this an extravaganza of technique, & portrayal of tools, but I can feel the explosion coming out of your head! It's also a beautiful balance of color.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Stan,

This piece brings a smile to my day.

I am curious which river you live by, as the one in your portrait is from around the world.

The use of enamel decals adds a nice level of detail. I might need to take another class to learn their use.

Susan B