20.2.08

Candida van Nugteren "All Me"



The different colours of the hair stand for all the different things I love to do (besides working with glass, I also make quilts, watercolour paintings, soapstone sculptures , weave treasure bracelets and read at least 2 books a week) The eye and hands represent that I'm always open to new things, like to experiment, and my hands are great tools to explore new creative techniques.

Process/materials: I was very exited when I read about the self portrait project. Being a newbie (I started fusing 2 years ago) I saw this project as a challenge to explore some new techniques. I really like Peter McGrain's work, so I decided to try my own interpretation of vitrifusaille.

For this piece I used only Baoli glass. When I finished the design, I used a clear base, and placed all the different coloured pieces carefully on top and full fused (830 C). Some “hair” pieces I enhanced with little dichroic scraps.

Step 2 was to trace all of the outlines, the hands, and the eye, using traditional stainers black enamel, fired it for 5 min. at 610C.


Step 3 was putting the grisaille (shadow) on with a soft brush, and then stippling to get the desired effect. At this point I also used a little white, blue and green enamel to detail the eye a bit.The piece went into the kiln for the third time, 5 min at 630C.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this piece. I see something new each time I look at it. I love the way your eye(s) seem to follow me.

Deb Lewis said...

I find the eye interesting. Are you peeking at someone or hiding from someone? Shy or curious?

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb, defenitely curious! I'm always exploring new techniques, so many things to try, so little time.
gr. Candida

Anonymous said...

Welcome the the warm glass world! Is the center (face and hands) on clear glass? I assume these photographs are all taken in reflected light. I wonder what it looks like in transmitted light.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele, the face and hands are a very soft pink, sort of light flesh colour. I couldn't take a good pic, but in transmitted light, it looks a lot more sparkling!

Anonymous said...

Candida, I love your colorful, playful portrait! Your vitrifusaille effects are wonderful & I keep coming back to see 'you' again & again.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Linda. It means a lot to me, all the nice comments from people who have been working with glass a lot longer than I have.

Anonymous said...

Candida,

Nicely done.

Interesting how our hands are so important to us.
Your hair is dynamic.
The juxtaposition between color and black and white adds strength to your self.

Susan B