21.2.08

Alice Benvie Gebhart "Reflection of Self"


This self-portrait was meant to be a record of how I look on the outside and a record of who I am on the inside. What I am, what we all are, is a combination of all life experiences. I have lived over half a century and have grown and changed over those many years. How could the artist in me reveal the many decades of these years of life in a self-portrait?

I decided to take a picture of my middle-aged face and include my reading glasses, changing hair color, and life-wrinkles, not my glamour shot! That was the outside likeness I wanted to present. But the look of me on the outside is not all I am on the inside. I asked myself, “How could I show my “inside” in this self-portrait?”

As an art teacher, I always require my students to write about their artwork. What better way to reveal myself to you than to add a written reflection? Over the last 20 years I’ve kept a journal. I’ve documented of my life in my journal that reveals an ordinary journey, yet one that is specific to myself. I decided to reveal my “inside” by adding journal entries to my self-portrait. I picked out passages that juxtaposed the common with the eventful, the reflective with the superficial. These passages of lines and time surround my likeness in the center. I believe this self-portrait tells a realistic story of the person I am.



Process and Materials
I start with a digital photo and sketch out ideas before picking up any glass. Once I have my design I scan it and print it to size. I approach my work as if I were creating a collage of color with glass. I use Bullseye clear, put the photocopy underneath and then add colored glass. After I’m happy with my glass placement, I fire to full fuse. Lather, rinse, and repeat using smaller glass pieces to create more detailed effects. I layer, build and arrange with glass until I’m happy with the results.

For added detail, texture and value, I paint with Reushe tracing black using the scraffito method. Remember when you were a child and drew a design with beautiful colored crayons then covered it up with black crayon and scratched through to the colors underneath? That’s the technique that I implement in my work and chose to use in areas of this self-portrait.

The writing for this piece was taken from my journal that I’ve kept for many years and is very personal to me. I copied appropriate entries with black Thompson enamel to the reverse side of the clear border. By the way, the writing had to be written as a mirror image in reverse! Tricky!

9 comments:

Cynthia Morgan said...

This is done with pieces of sheet glass? It very much looks like Paradise paints or something similar. Wow--how many firings?

In any case, it's a lovely, evocative portrait.

Anonymous said...

Your piece is great. So clever with colour placement and technique. Also very brave to share personal rambles, for they leave someone wide open, very powerful either way.

Anonymous said...

Thank you both.
Yes it is sheet glass. This is my second one. I discarded first attempt. I can't even remember how many firings. My first try with writing on the border I used Delphi decal and it didn't work. Trial and error.

Anonymous said...

Great piece, I like the techique and the combination of face(outer self) and journal(inner self).

Stan Harmon said...

Love this piece....I feel like I know you....but don't. Love your other work too....(as seen on google). I'm sure your next show will do well.

Anonymous said...

This is really powerful. You really captured the sense of a real, complex, intellegent person listening to the world. You seem to be looking back at, and observing me as I view your portrait.

Is the glass transparent or opalescent?

Anonymous said...

Alice, I love the cubist feel of your portrait. Using your journal to frame your outer self is a great effect; the concept is captivating. Colorful, great light & shadows, your layering is flawless. I still remember all my art teachers but don't recall seeing their work. Your students must be so inspired by you.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comments.
The glass within the center area are combination of transparent and opalescent. The writing is on clear. I wanted the light to show through the writing and leave a cast shadow.

Anonymous said...

Alice,

Very nicely done. I love the fact that you mostly used sheet glass.

I would like to know you in person.

Susan B