27.2.08

Lauri Levanto "Dirty Old Man"


Dirty Old Man is what I see in the mirror. 70 years has worn and wrinkled the surface, contrasting the emerging serenity inside. The piercing eyes look from deep − with wide interest but detached. That's me, apprentice in Art, journeyman of Life. Not unlike the poem of P mustapää:

"Kind of philosopher is Lindblad the tinkere,
He knows the life, Both sides of it,
the gloomy like the bright
He knows the embracing joy
and what is the distress of sorrow
yeah, he knows them."

Technical description
This piece was a challenge to combine drawing and glass. Defined in black and white, shadow and light. You can trace the development of the technique in the lines.

As starting point I had an old oil painting. To transcribe it in glass I tinkered the idea of graphic printing with liquid stringer. A sheet of Tekta was full fused on the plate.

The resulting image is a <1 mm high relief on a matt surface. You can feel a very line.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lauri, I really enjoy this portrait--I like your use of line and your sense of humor.

Peter Cummings said...

From the times I spend with a pencil I realise how difficult it is to achieve this look. The picture shows someone who wears their years with pride. On both counts I thank and respect you.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a Leonardo da Vinci drawing, very nice work!

Stan Harmon said...

This piece also resonated with me or more like, in me. You feel the work. Each line has it's own meaning. Hard technique to pull off for me. Love it!

Terrie Corbett said...

Lauri,

I like your cross hatching approach to form in this drawing/glass work. The intensity and introspection that you evoke in the self-portrait is very strong. Nice job.

Deb Lewis said...

Lauri, I love your portrait. You wear your years well.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful drawing!

Anonymous said...

You are a true master of your art.
I see a man with great wisdom and determination in this picture.

Barb Ridgley

Anonymous said...

Very strong piece,congratulations. For those who just can't get enough by just looking will get a thrill by the texture for sure. Like poor old Stan I'm going to have to give this technique a go along with others from this gallery.

Anonymous said...

The technique needs some refining before I want to release details.
I am working on it.
-lauri

Anonymous said...

Lauri,

I don't see a dirty old man...I see a friend. Excellent work.

Toni

Anonymous said...

I too like the line work in your portrait. The use of shading.
What a wonderful drawing of self.