29.2.08

Patricia Layne Watkins "Places of the Heart"


As we all grow older; aspects of ourselves change. I tend to examine “self” as my eyes see and view my hopes and dreams. In the passing of these two years; many changes have occurred within my family, work, and friends. We quit our jobs, sold our house, and moved to rural Virginia. We live in an old farmhouse with 31 acres.

For me, it is living out a dream of my father’s – refurbishing an old house that lay haunting my father, reminding him that his work was never done. And for me, it is living out a dream of mine from college – teaching young people life skills by trade but a “gentleman farmer” by heart. As the pages turn in our journey; we have 1 jersey bull, 1 billy and 2 nannies with 2 kids. We have inherited 2 cats and 2 dogs. I love my rabbits so much. We have 2 beta fish also. We are developing what we think is the original house on the property into a studio. We were able to put electricity in the studio this summer.

I believe myself to be a portrait of a place – one of comfort and warmth. I am working as an instructor in Special Education for pre-kindergarten. It is very heart-warming for me when the young students look for my arms for reassurance and love. It is very heart-warming for me when my animals follow my husband and /or I; nudging and toying with us for love and security.
I struggled with the presentation of what I thought I was and how I have changed – listened. I have never presented the obvious, unless forced. Once again, I will have frustrated the reader who wanted the facts – just the facts.

The title of the project is “Places of the Heart”. The self-portrait is a well-utilized foot stool with a wool shawl: exemplifying warmth and comfort for any being that comes my way. The clock is acknowledging time; how moments creep in and out - to calm and slow us as we rush and race through the days. The books are binders of memories, stories, visions, and photographs of love and connection within family and friends.

I hope to be this safe haven portrayed; I hope to be wise enough to welcome in my heart’s place anyone going my way.


Description: Frit and Powder matt painting.

6 comments:

Peter Cummings said...

I relate to this picture. I worked with problem children for a long time and when I "burnt out" I moved out bush. Mud brick and lots of chooks etc.As I now have moved into the city I miss the old battered couch and rugs, the wood fires, and I have lost a great soft if idealist part of my person.Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Actually, thank you - Peter; for understanding. Idealism is a difficult gift to lose or let go. We all need soft or promises of someone's, if not our own, dream.

Anonymous said...

Nice work, I find the idea of seeing yourself as a place of comfort and warmth very special, I can really relate to that, like to think I am such place for my husband, two sons and dog.

Anonymous said...

You have captured a feeling, an emotion, a sense of place. Dusty, calm, and warmed by the sun.

Are those the actual feet of the stool showing through the glass in the bottom of the photograph? Is the work of art the piece of glass or the photograph of the glass? (Perhaps this is a rhetorical question in this venue, a virtual gallery.)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderfully warm comments.

The footstool and comforter are in my house. The only thing I did not include was the cat dish underneath.

The first piece I did - was a girl in a cotton dress with her arms extended out - with bluebirds of happiness landing on her outstretched hands. I had over fired the powder and lost the color into the panel.

Since I don't have a great deal of display stands; in order to get the painting in on time, I used two glass drawer pulls to stand the painting up for the photo.

To answer your question...it was a play on light.

Anonymous said...

I see/saw your footstool as a cloth covered grand piano.

You have captured the warmth of a comfortable place to be.