25.2.08

John Austin ‘haydo’ Hayden “Doing Time, Looking In, Looking Out”



The intention behind this piece was to further explore undercoat backfilled engraving coupled with powders. Most likely this will be the last to incorporate undercoat but will continue work with backfilled engraving. As the piece evolved it became a communication with myself, so a lot of information will be lost to the viewer. The image used captured a sense of patience and focus as opposed to the amusing and shocking ones. The finished piece for me says this along with confronting personal barriers, continued reflection, luck and that like myself is flawed.


Tools/Product - Dremel engraving with black undercoat backfill, bullseye powder, frit and vitrigraph cane. Back sheet having medium white frit to adjust density, remaining two sheets carry the cartooning, shading and background.

Dimensions - 165mm x 220mm x 15mm

9 comments:

Cynthia Morgan said...

My mother peeked over my shoulder as I was looking at this and said "what a dark prison he's in." Interestingly, I took it in just the opposite way, as a man taking himself out of a cage. What I like best is that we both could tell a story.

Peter Cummings said...

Yes Haydo, the eyes have that patience,in old language wisdom. as you say,"looking in, looking out." Great to see.

Stan Harmon said...

BRAVO! This piece removed me from time's choke hold. It was probably 10 minutes before I realized what I was doing, or better said, not doing. Keep on keeping on Thai man!

The artist formerly know as Stan(artist name symbol unavailable in this font set)

Anonymous said...

Still caged presently, got caught by the fun police years ago but am due for release. To achieve wisdom is a goal, much more soothing than becoming bitter and twisted.

Deb Lewis said...

I enjoyed reading your comments. The technique you used is new to me and an interesting process.

Terrie Corbett said...

Haydo,

This is a sensitive and beautifully executed portrait. Very compelling. Bravo.

Anonymous said...

There is a lot of emotion in this portrait. Thought provoking! I really like it!

Barb

Anonymous said...

I have returned to see your portrait several times. It is indeed compelling and emotional.

Are the three layers cold assembled or fused together, for the final piece? I assume that the top photograph was backlit, yet the white (I see a dove) does not appear in the lower layers. Is it opaque?

This is a powerful piece.

Anonymous said...

I like the contrast between yourself and the "bars". The range of value you used in this piece adds power to it.