29.2.08

Jennifer Frangi "Self Portrait"



I have always looked different in my mind than in real life so all of my self portraits before were always fantastic fire breather, tarot card reading gypsies, and multiarmed Kalis (which is referenced in the background of the self portrait). They were not my real face which seemed too plain and too soft to bear. Everything changed once I had my daughter. Looking at her is like looking back into my own past. She looks so much like me her people mistake old pictures of me for her. She is the most beautiful girl in the world to me and seeing the beauty in her made me appreciate and see beauty in myself more.

Materials and process- 8x10 inches kiln formed Bullseye glass with Carefree lusters, Reusche enamels, and Paradise paint. I started by full fusing the different colors together and then again tack fused fired on the luster stars, and paradise paints on the teeth and eyes. Finally I applied tracing black Reusche enamel to the front for outlining and once that was dry I applied bistre brown to the back for shading and tack fired again. Finally I sandblasted the skin to make it stand out be more opaque.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your piece. It's bold and beautiful and cleverly portrayed. History is great to form part of any story.You didn't even try and hide the fact that you'd been gutsing the licorice. I guess your girl will be the proudest at show and tell.

Anonymous said...

Lovely piece, very vivid colours!

Stan Harmon said...

This work "pops". The composition and color really punch it home.

Anonymous said...

I love your words about your daughter, "She is the most beautiful girl in the world to me and seeing the beauty in her made me appreciate and see beauty in myself..." If someone as beautiful as my child looks like me, I must be beautiful.

Your portrait captured someone who is comfortable in her skin, and in her life.