7.3.08

Terrie Corbett "Inner Countenance"

I am a painter and glass is my canvas. The work is opaque and abstract. By using brushes, palette knives or any implement I choose in the moment, I indulge my need for the expressive experience. I use high fire enamels, specifically Paradise Paint.

When I first began painting with these enamels, an unexpected learning curve materialized! The act of pushing the paint around was difficult. Enough medium had to be used to facilitate its movement, but not too much or the pigment’s intensity was lost. However, as with any challenge, you forge ahead, develop new mark-making skills, and hope that your technical proficiency will catch up with your ideas!

Like most painters and artists, I spend long hours in the studio and often work late into the night. I began inscribing personal notes in the paint to my husband. When I fire the piece, the enamels will flow and obscure the intimate nature of those words. The remaining glyphs contribute to the surface design and the messages remain, for me, an important part of the work.

There is an element of surprise when you combine the act of painting with the capricious
nature of kiln-fired glass. This is both the challenge and the reward!

High fire enamels, sgraffito
15” Square

5 comments:

Cynthia Morgan said...

Terri, I've loved your work for quite some time. The idea that you're carving messages to your husband within the work, messages we can't see, is very much after my own heart.

Anonymous said...

Although I'm not a great lover of abstract work, this one attracted my attention immediately. I think it's the way the colours were applied, I'm in the middle of struggling with enamels myself and I really like the way your work looks!

Anonymous said...

The colors and composition are striking.

Anonymous said...

The colours and effects from manipulating the enamels had me coming back to this piece. I guess I didn't get the content bit at first. Even though it's opaque I'd love to see how light plays with this sort of work.

Anonymous said...

Terri, your portrait is one of my favorites. It draws me in & reminds me of somewhere I've been before, but can't quite put my finger on it. Your use of color is exceptional & I love the calligraphic lines of your glyphs.

Linda