17.3.08

Andrea Reaburn "C’est Moi (It’s Me)"


This was a very interesting process of looking at myself. Looking at pictures to see what I really look like. To see the aging process over the last 20 years and to find my true self in those images. This is where the name comes from. This piece is far from perfect, but it does capture the essence of me. My work process started with buying The Art of Painting on Glass by Albinas Elskus. I used a pen with enamel and clove oil to do the outline. Black and white enamels watered down with brushes and a palette knife to give depth and I used the gold and lustres to highlight. The glass used was Bullseye Light Peach Cream. I wanted the glass to have a fleshy tone after it was fired. The entire process was five different firings and each one brought out another layer of intricacies. It was also great learning experience. Learning to stop. I love the process and will continue with painting on glass.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just have to chuckle--when I saw this portrait I immediately thought of France, Edith Piaf, Colette, etc. Then I saw the title, "C'est moi."

I really love the attitude in this self-portrait--this is a person who's very in tune with herself.

Terrie Corbett said...

I like your relaxed gesture and also the confidence conveyed in this portrait. Very nicely done.

Anonymous said...

I love this and truly does represent you. It captures you spirit and your smile. And I love the watch!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy the sketchiness and how much you conveyed with so little. You come across as relaxed, confident and one who laughs easily.

Anonymous said...

The highlights are what caught my attention. Your eyes are so bright, and the watch face, and the shine on your lips - very nicely done.

Barb Ridgley

Anonymous said...

I love the picture in a picture in a picture where all three tell their own story, and together yet another one.

Barb Ridgley

Anonymous said...

What catches my eye first is your hair
- Light and bubbly.
Next the smiling blue eyes
- Lively and full of humor.

There is a wonderful lightness to your portrait. I like how the shading around your head gives depth to yourself.