17.3.08

Cynthia Morgan "Oh, really?"


In my last self-portrait I stuck to the minimum, making the simplest, least complicated form of glasswork I could do: a simple powder sketch. In this one I went back to my first love, pate de verre, and tried some tricks with perspective. The original image from this photo was shot from a point just above my forehead. To make the portrait appear fully three-dimensional yet remain relatively flat, I tried foreshortening the bottom of the face and proportionally increasing the top, to make it appear as though the head was sloping out of the frame at a much greater angle.

The mold was invested from a clay model, cleaned and corrected. I sifted a color layer of BE powder into the mold to shade in the features of the face, hair and background, then packed in powder-tinted mixtures of fine frit mixed with water and gum arabic. The glasses were cast separately and attached.

Right before I started this piece, a couple of people had remarked that I express doubt by looking over my glasses at the speaker as if I’m saying, “Oh, really?” So I decided to try posing that way.

http://www.morganica.com/bloggery/2008/03/27/making-me-self-portrait/
Cynthia's tutorial of how she made "Oh Really"

Dimensions: 10”x13”x2”
Technique: Pate de verre
Glass used: Bullseye frits

13 comments:

Peter Cummings said...

The foreshortening and the glasses worked really well with your expression.I bet you're a big hit with the youngsters.(in age and spirit)

Terrie Corbett said...

Cynthia, this is wonderful!
I have come back to it several times, and in each instance it brings a smile to my face. The quick wit, humor and wisdom you bring to your writings is also evident in your work - a compelling moment captured in a delightful piece of glass. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Cynthia, your piece has such expression-I feel like I know you-uh, maybe I'm just thinking back to my senior English comp teacher....

Anonymous said...

Nice piece! I have never done pate de verre, but it looks interesting so I will try it some time.

Anonymous said...

This piece is alive. You have transcended physical semblance to create an intriguing expression of perplexed skepticism.

Did the photography accurately record the skin tone?

Stan Harmon said...

WOW!!! I feel like such a sandbagger now. You really went over the top this time. The perspective and concept are killer....the color...has kind of a woo-woo factor. Thanks for the details on your blog!

Anonymous said...

I can see where you got the energy to encourage us all along for the ride,the making of this would of had you buzzing. My old man(dec.) had the same look. It creates a presence.

Cynthia Morgan said...

Thanks, all. It's really lovely to hear such nice things about my alter ego (the glass one). (although Cynthia Oliver has to take the credit for keeping us buzzing...I was REALLY only along for the ride ;-) )

Anonymous said...

Well I'm a goose, it has to be the look "Oh,really?!,you're going to leave a comment are you!" affected my speed reading skills. We are lucky that Cynthia Oliver gave us the opportunity to bring this piece out.

Anonymous said...

I want to see this close-up! Awesome work, from the expression, to the texture to the coloring. What a great piece of art.

Barb Ridgley

Anonymous said...

Cynthia,

I love this piece of yours. I often do the same thing, looking over the top of my glasses, same thought, with a raised eyebrow, to boot. Excellent work, as usual.

Toni

Anonymous said...

I would like to know you in person. Very well done.

Terri Stanley's Cast and Kilnformed Glass said...

Oh Cynthia, This is an excellent piece! Congratulations on all your successes. Well done!
Terri