3.3.08

JJ Jacobs "Goddess of the Sea"


My 2008 self-portrait contribution is a pate de verre tile measuring 5.5” wide; 4.5” tall; and 1” deep.

I have always been drawn to the ocean and stories about mermaids. Legends describe mermaids who would sing to sailors and enchant them, distract them from their work and cause them to walk off the deck or cause shipwrecks. A mermaid’s affections were not to be toyed with—for if they were, the mermaid would wrap her tail around the victim and drag them to the bottom of the sea. Still--in my mind mermaids are beautiful, kind and loving creatures who love music and who would never harm humans.

Unless,of course, someone deserved it.

3 comments:

Cynthia Morgan said...

I really enjoy the innocence and gesture in this one. I think my favorites are the waves--the spiral really intimates movement.

Anonymous said...

JJ, I'm drawn to the vibrant color you used & love your whimsical portrait in 3-D. I bet you have a lot of fun in your studio!

Anonymous said...

A totally delightful piece.